This gorgeous sparkly notebook is to die for! BoBunny Mixed Media ads the perfect touch of 'magic' to this project!
Altered Notebook by Ilene Tell
I was thrilled when I found out that BoBunny came out with all the mixed media supplies and mediums, and my hands were itching for the chance to put them to good use. I was lucky enough that one of my first assignments was for a mixed media project, and that was all the motivation I needed! I had altered a notebook before, a couple years ago, and it was so much fun - to turn something so ordinary into a work of art that was also practical and usable was really amazing. A beautiful cover on a notebook really pulls you and makes you want to fill it up with all sorts of secrets. Why spend $10 to $20 at a bookstore on a journal when you can take a $1 notebook and personalize it and make it be exactly what you want it to be? Added bonus is that when it's all full, you keep it forever. And these notebooks make the best gifts!
I used pretty much all the new mixed media supplies to create this... that always makes it more fun :) I really loved working with the new Glitter Paste in conjunction with the new stencils - that's how I got the beautiful, raised, glittered script writing on the bottom of the cover. I also used the new Pearlescents to add the little dots on the bird fountain for some fun details.
I also used the new stencils up top, along with the Glitter Paste, to create the sparkly dots, and stencils with the Glimmer Spray for the color and the slight doily pattern that's visible.
Steps to Create Altered Notebook:
1. Choose a good quality notebook - don't use the really flimsy 15 cent ones. Make sure you get one with a thick enough cover to take some abuse. The original brand name Mead ones work well.
2. Cover with white gesso, including the binding.
3. Add chosen paper and glue it down.
4. File along the edges to trim excess paper and file some of the gesso off the binding.
5. Add BoBunny washi tape along the binding. Add a strong glue to secure it well.
6. Decorate - use the new stencils, along with the Glimmer Sprays, Glimmer Pastes, inks, Pealescents, etc for an artsy effect.
Tip: To create a fade-out effect when using stencils with Glimmer Pastes, simply tap at the edges of the design with your finger while the paste is still wet to blend it out.
7. Decorate with the details - embellishmets, dot jewels, wood embellishments, etc. BoBunny is also great for fussy cutting elements out to add to your project - I did a lot of that here, using a few different collections.
8. Depending on the final effect, mist over the finished piece with a little more of the Glimmer Spray to blend everything in - this is especially useful if you do use a few different collections and want to harmonize the overall look.
Patterned Paper: Enchanted Garden / Moonlight, Pixies; Somewhere in Time / Imagination, Timeless; Madeline / Grace
Dot Jewels: Aqua
Washi Tape: Baby Bump
Wood Shapes: That's Life
Stickable Stencils: Lace, Brocade
Pearlescents: Island Mist
Glimmer Spray: Frost
Glimmer Paste: Silver