Friday, April 17, 2020

Tips for Creating a Shadow Box

Hi Crafty friends!!!

Here is Elisa and today I want to share with you my new project: the Hanging Layout "Beautiful Treasures"... As you can see there is a big frame (12" x 12"), a net made with golden twine and a Shadow Box (fixed on the net).



At the end of this post I'm happy to suggest you some tips to create Shadow Boxes and Frames without stress!! I hope they will be useful to you!



But first let me show you the project:
as you can see I used the Family Heirlooms BoBunny collection.



For the embellishment I used Stickers, Brads, Noteworthy, the wonderful Thickers (I really love neutral color... And this Alpha are great for me!!!)


I chose a romantic picture (we took it one week before our wedding day!!). SO nice moment!! Beautiful treasures, of course!



I also stick some of the chipboard stickers on the twine net: have you see the vintage buttons in this collection? The colors, the shapes, everything is perfect! SO realistic!



As you can see in this picture I also used one of the frame included in the collection. I chose the layered chipboard one. The bronze glitter reminds me the rust. And yes, I like grunge romantic project.


On the opposite corner I stuck some other elements: 3 label frames (chipboard stickers) and a mannequin, other great vintage elements!!! The roses on the mannequin remind to the roses on the main sector of the LO.


But now..... Let me give you some tips!!! First of all, let's speak about shadow box!!


Here you can see the typical scheme for shadow box... Every time I made a new one, I look at it, so I'm sure to remember how many lines I have to score on each side of the paper! (Remember that score line number 5 is really really short: you only have to reach the second perpendicular score line, so I suggest you to score 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 on each side and then go on with 5!)
Of course the FIRTS and the most important TIP is: be precise!!


Another typical scheme: here you can see how to cut the corners!!
As you can se I named all the sectors: A are the most external.... D are the inner.
Remember that A & C tell us how much large will be the borders.
B & D tell us how much deep they will be.

And now my SECOND TIP: after you score all the lines and cut the corners, take again your trimmer and cut away a 1/8 stripe from each side (the yellow stripes in next scheme):


Finally my THIRD TIP is about the assembling...
1) fold sector A & B on sector C & D;
2) put some glue on sector A;
3) fold again A & B + C & D on the main base of the shadow box.
In this way, you will get a perfect squared section
(I suggest you to watch the video to understand better all the steps)


And now let's speak about FRAME
Tips and process are very similar to the shadow box, of course... First of all, you have to realize the 4 sides of the frames... This is a scheme:


Again, the FIRTS and the most important TIP is: be precise!!

Second scheme: how to cut the little corner:


Remember that A & C tell us how much large will be the borders.
B & D tell us how much deep they will be.

SECOND TIP: after you score all the lines and cut the corner, take again your trimmer and cut away a 1/8 stripe from the A sector (the yellow stripe in next scheme):



Finally my THIRD TIP is about the assembling.
1) fold sector A & B on sector C & D;
2) put some glue on sector A;
3) fold again A & B + C & D on last sector (the one with no letter).
In this way, you will get a perfect squared section
(I suggest you to watch the video to understand better all the steps)

When you stick together the four part, help you with a triangle ruler.



BoBunny Supplies

Family Heirlooms 12x12 cardstock: Generations, Origins;
 Family Heirlooms Noteworthy
Family Heirlooms Chipboard Stickers
Family Heirlooms Cardstock Stickers
Family Heirlooms Layered Chipboard Stickers
Family Heirlooms Thickers


I hope you enjoy this project!!

Till next time!



Elisa

2 comments:

  1. ciao Elisa,
    il tuo progetto, pur non essendo nel mio stile, mi piace tantissimo!
    brava!
    marta

    ReplyDelete