Friday, August 10, 2012

Mixed Media on Layouts

I can't even stand how excited I am about today's post!
Mahlin and Irene really ROCK this style!

 Road Ahead
by: Irene Tan
 Irene says:
"On this layout, I've tried to duplicate the bricks background in the photograph on to the layout to create a scene layout. To create it, I've first apply some molding paste onto the layout and while it is still wet, I've used the negative of a chipboard brick piece to create the brick impressions on the paste. To add more interesting element to it, I've also added some pieces of the actual chipboard bricks on it. Then, I've misted it with a few layers of paints to get the color I want.


 If you look at the layout closely, you will see that I'm kind of dimensional in the photograph. I've actually printed two pieces of the same photograph. I've adhered one of it to the layout and the second piece, I've cut myself out from it. Then, I used some pop dots to adhere it directly on top of the same image to create some dimension to that image.


Hope you all find these tips useful!"

 Bo Bunny Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Study, Baggage/Weekend Market; 
Cardstock: Double Dot in Licorice Dot
Stickers: Weekend Market Combo Sticker; Weekend Market Dimensional Stickers
Noteworthy: Weekend Market
Brads: Weekend Market
Jewels: Weekend Market
Buttons: Weekend Market
Rub-ons: Weekend Market
Chipboard: Weekend Market 12 x 12


Sommar
by: Mahlin Wiggur
 Malin says:
"I worked with a lot of layers both on my background but also on my petals. But first, the background. I chose a patterned paper with lots of color but I decided to tone it down a bit by adding some gesso. I had a piece of netting to create a pattern when adding my gesso with a brayer. If you use a heatgun to dry your gesso it will pop up a bit more when the heat is high and give an extra dimension to your pattern. I also added 4 layers of different colors of mist, 3 shades of pink and one brown.. Finishing of with a final layer of gesso but this time carefully wiped of a bit with a baby wipe.

 The petals are covered in a layer of transparent glitter mist, white stain, crackle paint in metallic colors and some stains again. I used the transparent layer to add moisture to my petals, being able to shape them a bit before adding more heavy paint but be careful so they don´t get torn while wet."
Bo Bunny Supplies:
Patterned Paper: Jaquoya, Little Miss/Little Miss; 
Stickers: Little miss Combo Stickers
Trinkets: Hello Sunshine, Little Miss
Petals: Hello Sunshine, Little Miss, Camp-A-lot
Brads: Hello Sunshine
Jewels: Little Miss

I'm really wanting to bust out some gesso, wipes, molding paste and sprays...
How about you guys?
Please, please share your creations with us on facebook if you play with mixed media.... I 'm so intrigued.  

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Irene and Mahlin totally rocked these mixed media LO's!! I just love the layered grunginess here!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW these are both just absolutely yummy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love mixed media and getting messy!!!! Beautiful creations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great job girls... these are fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are great designers! Thank you for the inspiration1

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, WOW, WOW..... completely speechless I adore both LO's ... Irene....now going to your blog to see if you have something else like this!!
    Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to win a contest where I can go spend a week with mixed media artists and teach me how to do this.... I am SO in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...wow...wow the first one I LOVEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh* these are just amazing!!!! I loveeeeeee all that texture!!! Just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely stunning. I am playing around with mixed media and I love it. I have done a couple canvas pieces! So much fun. I will post pics.

    ReplyDelete